Losing weight and keeping that desired weight can be a battle for many. This week, Nathalie Chantal de Ahna, writes for us about her experiences and how she managed to lose weight. Nathalie is a respected nutrition expert with supplementary education in homeopathy and herbal medicine.
Nathalie used to fight with her weight. She jumped from the one diet to another, South Beach diet, Weight Watchers to Atkins. She went raw (and back again), tried cleansing and once she only ate cabbage soup for a week. She says: "Nothing seemed to me long-term, the pounds I lost through dieting always came back, along with some extra pounds. After limiting my food selection for years, I also got myself an eating disorder and depression.
Here's how I finally manage to change my lifestyle and stay my ideal weight:
* I made a list of all the natural weight loss tricks I had ever encountered. (literally hundreds)
* I copied them, cut them apart and put them in a jar as if they were cakes.
* Two or three times a week, I would take a "cake" (in fact, just a health tip), and if I liked it, I made one part of my routine. Here are 30 tricks that have worked for Nathalie - all from the "cake box", and I hope some of them will resonate with you:
1. Drink a glass of lukewarm lemon water as the first thing in the morning.
2. Make sure you get at least seven hours of sleep each night. This will help you balance your hormones, including those that regulate appetite.
3. Eat some protein with each meal.
4. Eat a handful of nuts every day.
5. Drink a green smoothie / juice each morning instead of the usual breakfast (see the week's recipe here for inspiration). I love wheatgrass juice and it is so effective in stopping your cravings.
6. Drink at least 1.5 -2 litres of water during the day. Fill up a bottle in the morning and it needs to be empty by the evening.
7. Find seven green smoothie recipes and make one every day, get inspiration from the recipes here.
8. When you feel that you need fun, call a friend or family member, or go for a walk before you snack.
9. Eat foods high in omega 3 fatty acids and take an omega3 supplement, it is very effective in eliminating your cravings. Note from Britt: See here the one I use every day.
10. Find 10 recipes with oats and make one of them, then you have snacks or a healthy breakfast.
11. Drink a glass of grapefruit juice 30 minutes before each meal.
12. Eat three main meals and two snacks each day and do not eat between meals. If you are tempted, go for a walk in the "cake box" and find another health trick.
13. Eat from dark plates.
14. Eat more black beans.
15. Instead of watching TV while eating, download a free 20 minute nature sound online. Only eat portion 2 if you still feel hungry after listening to all 20 minutes.
16. Snack on watery foods such as cucumber, celery, lettuce, radishes or tomatoes.
17. Buy yourself a pedometer and start moving. Your daily goal? 10,000 steps per day.
18. Always sit down to eat. (Just not in front of your laptop or TV!)
19. Buy yourself a beautiful diary and note what you eat, how this food makes you feel and why you eat. Stop buying something that makes you feel bad.
20. Did you have a great lunch? Make it a little dinner.
21. When you wait for dinner at a restaurant, do not fill up on bread, ask for a small salad instead.
22. Brush your teeth before a meal. Having the feeling of a fresh mouth will make you think twice before you eat and at the same time you are more likely to notice whether you are really hungry or just eating for fun.
23. Find five ways to move more. Some ideas: walk with (the neighbour's) dog, take the stairs or dance while brushing your teeth. Be creative!
24. Use a small spoon for sampling dessert instead of eating it all.
25. Find at least five recipes with avocado and get them as often as possible.
26. Spice up your food with HOT sauces and salsas.
27. Drink marjoram tea.
28. Wear tight clothes when eating out.
29. Rinse your mouth with vitamin C powder dissolved in water when you get cravings.
30. Eat carrot or cucumber sticks while watching TV.
I hope you are inspired :)